Friday, August 12, 2011

I'm officially *that* person

You know what I’m talking about. And if you pretend not to, you’re just being polite. But it’s okay. You can judge. As of today, I have officially turned into *that* person. The one with a blog about her kid. (A kid, mind you, that hasn’t even left the womb yet.) The one who has endured months of fickle hormones and innumerable potty breaks to earn her own voice in the age-old dialogue about the joys and struggles of parenting. The one who [naively?] believes there are enough people out there willing to sift through pictures of her offspring to warrant creating a blog. Yup, I’m officially that person. And I really couldn’t be more excited.

It’s funny how this moment somehow feels like the right one to put our world out there on display — a time when our lives will go from moderately interesting, at times (dare I say?) even bordering on exciting, to markedly domestic and mundane. Come here to read all about sleepless nights — not the product of wild co-ed shenanigans, but the screaming mini-person who wants his milk. Learning new languages — not to find our way around Southeast Asia, but to navigate baby stores and play groups. Trying out new recipes — not locally-inspired seasonal fare, but mushed peas and soupy carrots. This is excitement, redefined.

After Asia, I didn’t know if I’d have a reason to blog again, but I guess this whole parenthood thing seemed like as good a reason as any. For starters, I fully acknowledge that no one will be as interested in and entertained by stories of Baby Barasz as Aaron and I. (I also fully expect my filter for understanding this fact to be impaired once he arrives and even poopy diapers seem oddly cute and conversation-worthy.) A blog seemed like a good alternative to forcing emails/phone calls/video chats on our family and friends, letting you consume baby tales only as you want them without permanently relegating me to your spam folder.

I also think that the blog may prove to be an effective outlet for maintaining my sanity. I’ll be taking a semester off from school and staying at home through the end of January, during which time I’ll spend most days alone with the little guy. To keep from satisfying my need for adult interaction with a stalkerish number of daily phone calls to Aaron’s office, I thought having a blog might help channel some of that energy elsewhere. Even if no one is reading, I’m totally okay convincing myself otherwise and pretending someone over the age of 0.3 is hearing me.

I’m not sure how frequently I’ll post (as much of that depends on how good a sleeper Mini-Person turns out to be), but hopefully it will be quasi-regular and include some photos to keep the visually-inclined entertained. I promise to try to avoid over-sharing (though pregnancy has had an unfortunate ability to blur the outer limits of socially acceptable conversation topics) while still offering an honest look inside the lives of two newbie parents and one newbie human.

Daily Stats
Days till Due Date: 32

Spoonfuls of Peanut Butter Consumed: 8
# of Direct Bladder Kicks Sustained: 17

2 comments:

  1. you are going to be a fabulous mommy-blogger! and an even better mommy.

    love you (& aaron & the tiniest fish)

    xo
    meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Clark family loves you and looks forward to your every post, including blogs for babies 2, 3, 4.....

    ReplyDelete