Wednesday, February 25, 2015

An Admission


Admission: I'm almost as bad a blogger as I am email-returner and voicemail-listener.  The upside is that I can now add that to the list of career options that are definitely off the table: swimsuit model, anything to do with the hard sciences, and professional blogger.

That said, one of my New Year's Resolutions was to write more regularly, mostly so I can have a lasting record of this time in my life.  It's almost March, so yes, I'm technically behind--but I've also been living in the arctic tundra for two months. (Boston is where shoes come to die.) I'll start writing regularly when the T starts running regularly.  

Bah.

So here's my quick "snapshot in time"...

Owen thinks he's a man.  No, correction: he knows he's a man and he hates being called a boy. We left the doctor's office recently and the unsuspecting doc innocently told Owen to "be a good boy." Meltdown. Owen to doctor:  "I am NOT a boy! I am a MAN! I am a big strong MAN!"  Okay, medical records updated accordingly.  

Luckily, he's backing up his outlandish claim with some behaviors to prove it. He woke up from a nap last week and went directly into the kitchen, opened the freezer, got out a frozen waffle, pulled a stool over to the toaster, and cooked himself a snack. When I commented that I was impressed with his self-sufficience, he nonchalantly responded: "That's what mans do for their selves."  So be it.

Eliza is [still] obsessed with clothes.  My last post was about her love of shoes; now it's poured out into all areas of wearables. It's actually nothing short of terrifying. When a 20-month-old refuses 4 pairs of pants, complete with adolescent angst ("Uhh...not pretty!!"), you know that it's going to be a long road from here to 18.

The silver-lining is that describing anything as "pretty" instantly changes her trajectory.  "Eliza, do you want to come put on a new diaper?"  "NO!"  "Eliza, do you want to come put on a new pretty diaper?" "Yes!!!!"  At some point, we'll have to stop encouraging this (hey, she started it), but for now "pretty" is the easiest trick in our box.












No comments:

Post a Comment